Friday, January 30, 2009

How Old?

The year 2009 proves to be a year that will really age me. My oldest daughter turned 12 two weeks ago and started attending Young Women's. Yikes! Samantha received some grown-up items for her birthday, including make-up and a bra (which made Elliot scream). I remember turning 12 and getting make-up and a bra for my birthday(not that I needed a bra - my mom said it was more appropriate and modest for a girl my age to have her chest covered). And so it is for my daughter! She sure is turning into a nice young lady. She's been helping me cook dinner and I've enjoyed her company in the kitchen, having more grown-up conversations. In fact, she got a Rachel Ray cookbook for Christmas and has making entire meals for the family - things like shrimp scampi, pesto pasta and vegetable chili. Yum! Samantha's also very responsible and does all of her homework and school projects on her own. I've been letting her stay up a little later at night. We watch TV shows together that we enjoy, like Jon & Kate Plus 8, while Nathan stays downstairs and watches dumb stuff like tennis and extreme fighting. Sometimes she plays with my hair - you know, girl time. On the flip side, she also is showing signs of becoming a true teenager, being dramatic and argumentative. Oh well - girls aren't perfect!

Also in 2009, Elliot is going to turn 8, be baptized and start the Cub Scout program. He's looking forward to doing the Pinewood Derby. AND, Henry is going to start Kindergarten and leave me all alone!

See? I'm getting old!

4 comments:

thesvancaras said...

I remember being 12. It was a really fun age Can she shave her legs yet?! I got to when I turned 12.

love_suz said...

I wish you lived closer so Samantha could cook for me! Enjoy that girl time!

Allison and Nathan said...

I forgot about shaving her legs!! I did when I was 12 too. She'll be thrilled. Gillian's actually the one that's been begging to shave her legs. She's a little hairier than Samantha - thanks to Katelyn shaving her arms when she was little!

Sommer said...

Gavin is DYING to do the pinewood derby! Hopfully, by then he will have learned how to be a better sport. I need to start having Andie help me in the kitchen more often. The few times that she has helped me so far she has done a good job! I look forward to older kids, but I don't like that it means that I'm getting older too.