Monday, March 23, 2009

Catch Up

Blogging has been one of those things that keeps nagging at me to get done, so since Elliot is home sick today (and we can't leave the house because it's been snowing all day - this is after a 75 degree week), I thought I would take the opportunity to get caught up. Here goes........


*Henry started indoor soccer in January. His team is full of his ward neighbors and playmates, so he really likes it. He hasn't scored a goal like he wants. Goals are actually hard to make in indoor soccer - without grass to slow down the ball, it just keeps rolling after it gets kicked. So, basically we watch ten little boys chase a ball around the court in one big herd. Kinds funny. His last game is this Wednesday. It will be a relief since Elliot has already started his outdoor soccer practices on the same night as Henry's games - also the same night as Nathan's scout activities and Samantha's Young Women activities. Can you say hectic? Wait a second....Henry is starting outdoor soccer too (same teammates) and his first practice is right after his last indoor game. I guess there's no breathing quite yet! These pictures are from Henry's first game. The lighting was really yellow and gross, but I don't feel like fixing them in Photoshop. So, enjoy!
Coach Summerhays and Assistant Coach Beutler




*Samantha attended her first dance in February. The sixth graders had a Valentine's Dance during school the day before Valentine's Day. They had spent the few weeks prior learning some dances, like the waltz and the swing. When I picked her up from school that day of the dance, she wouldn't give many details, but I found out later that she was asked to dance many times - in fact, she was asked by the same boy six different times! Ooh la la!





*Nathan took us to a bird sanctuary a few Saturdays ago. His buddy at work, who is a wildlife photographer, told him that there were bald eagles that were nesting in the sanctuary and we decided to go have a look. The sanctuary was about 45 minutes away, near Farmington, close to Lagoon. The sanctuary was a beautiful backdrop for photos since it had just snowed, giving the whole area a wintery marshy feel. But, because of my lack of a telephoto lens, we didn't get any close-ups of the bald eagles. We ran into John, Nathan's co-worker, who had been there all morning getting some great shots. (We always run into John when we go check out the cool places he recommends!) Here are my pics:


I bet John got some awesome pics - take a look.

*We went to Gillian's 5th Grade performance a couple of weeks ago. The theme was American History and immigration. The songs were cute and each child had a speaking part about one of their own ancestors. Gillian spoke about Grandpa Mortensen and how he was there when Pearl Harbor was attacked in 1941. Good job Gilly!





*Here's Samantha at her St. Patrick's Young Women's activity. I made broccoli soup and green jello like I always do.


Also, on St. Patrick's Day, I got a call from my cousin Amber. Her family was in town visiting other relatives and wanted to see us too. So, we all spent the next day in Salt Lake City at Temple Square. We saw the Joseph Smith movie in the JS Memorial Building, where we also had lunch. We stopped at the distribution center and the old Tabernacle before taking a tour of the Conference Center. These were all things that I've seen, but was happy to see them again with Amber's family, who hadn't. Bella never let go of my hand and I was glad to have such a cute little buddy for the day. It was nice to see them all and spend a nice 70 degree spring day together.





*Lastly, we were fortunate to get free tickets to the Real Salt Lake soccer game on Saturday. Our friend, Greg Summerhays, got tickets for a suite and gave them to us and another family in our ward. It was super cool. We hadn't been to the brand new Rio Tinto Soccer Stadium yet. The suite was awesome. The kids couldn't get enough of the endless hot wings, nachos, popcorn, soda and cookies. The best part was the dessert cart that came by and we all got to pick what we wanted from ice cream, cakes, candy and the biggest caramel apples I've ever seen. The suite was nice, but the weather outside was even nicer, so most of us sat outside on the balcony. I've never been to a professional soccer game (all the soccer I see involves little guys ages 7 and under) and it was was fun! Thanks Greg!
Final score: Real Salt Lake 3, Austin Aztecs 1

There - all done!

6 comments:

Natalie said...

Wow! No wonder you don't have time to blog, you're super busy. It sounds like you have the next few months planned out. I guess we will see you in a few weeks. I'm so mad, I was supposed to have my ultrasound on the 8th, but because of stupid Aims testing I had to move it to the 16th.

Sommer said...

Yes, you have been busy! Question.....where is Harrison?

Allison and Nathan said...

Aw, man! You'll just have to call us then after your ultrasound. I can't wait to see if you have a belly!

love_suz said...

Busy Beutler's! Ooh lala Samantha is right! Six times!

Soccer looks fun, esp. in that nice spring weather.

I like that stripe shirt your wearing NayNay!

Allison and Nathan said...

Sommer-
Harrison is there. He's sitting next to me and Henry.

Amy Denton Benites said...

Hey guys! I have a blogspot now too! I am glad I can keep up with you guys. I am going to try to blog stuff so people can keep up with me too. My life is not as exciting as yours but definitely as busy, just in different ways. I am sorry that I missed you guys while you were down here. I only live in Tempe, but I was having car issues. Hopefully I'll get to see you guys again soon! Give all the kiddos my love! xoxoxo