Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Next Phase

I'm really enjoying a new phase in life. Older children. I was just telling Hailee the other day that I love having older children and that it's something she can look forward to. Reason 1: Samantha and Gillian help with the cooking and after-dinner dishes - takes half the time. The girls also now have more chores. On Saturday, they empty the dishwasher, vacuum all the carpets and each clean a bathroom - things that I now don't have to do. (While this may sound really nice, I still have to endure all of the whining that accompanies the execution of these new chores.) Reason 2: They can stay home alone. I actually save my errands until after the kids come home from school so that I can leave them home. I get to go the bank, post office and grocery store alone - all places that I used to dread taking children. Also, Nathan and I now go on what we call "mini-dates", usually on Friday nights. I make the kids nachos or mac 'n cheese, rent them a movie, and then Nathan and I take off to be by ourselves. We never go far. We grab a bite to eat, browse the clearance section at Ross, get an ice cream cone, whatever. When we get back, we put the kids to bed and then watch a movie together. We still go on some longer dates that include a movie or the temple, but then we get a babysitter, which the kids still enjoy. I do get a little sad watching my kids grow up, but for now I like this new phase of life!

No comments: