Tuesday, December 16, 2008

D.I. Treasure

By far, my favorite style for architucture and furnishings is mid-century modern design. But.....I have this strange fascination for things made in the 1970's. So, when Nathan and I saw this armchair at D.I. for $10, it found it's way into our car and then into our living room. I've purchased much 1970's dinnerware, cookware and Tupperware from D.I., but none of it has been put on display. I decorate with the famous orange, rust, brown and avacado green colors from the 70's, but never in my house has there been a piece of furniture that was actually made before I was born. Although the chair is in perfect condition (not even fading or sun damage), I'm still on the fence about whether or not this vintage wonder will be allowed to remain in the house. I would appreciate everyone's honest comments.





And if you have found yourself wondering, "What the heck is mid-century modern?", take a look:









Or you could always google names such as George Nelson, Richard Neutra, Albert Frey, Ralph Haver, Joseph Eichler or Ray & Charles Eames.

7 comments:

Mechelle said...

looks like it's in great condition, but seriously, it's not for me. U to the G to the L to the Y. That's just my honest opinion. Sorry if it comes off as rude, I really don't mean to be.

Nate said...

It has a certain charm, which is, I'm sure, why you bought it. But I feel like it needs something. Maybe a coordinating lumbar pillow? Some 70s artwork or a swag light behind it? It definitely has potential.

love_suz said...

I like the chair itself, just not a fan of floral prints. I bet you could find a really cool retro fabric....

Greg said...

I dig the chair and I will take the mid-century house as well!

thesvancaras said...

Brian looked at it and said "ew..gross" I looked at it and said "that is so Allison. It reminds me of grandmas trailer in camp verde. It matches your paint nice, but you know I've never been much of a decorator. Keep it, it was only $10. Even Brian cant argue with that.

Sommer said...

hmmmmm. I love the colors.....and that it matches your wall but I have to agree with hailee about the art work and a light, but then you will be spending more money to make it work. Too bad that it has so many buttons on it because it would look good covered in an orange or olive tweed but it might be difficult to do. $10 bucks though, that's awsome.

Natalie said...

Honestly, the style is cool, the fabric is soooo not cool. This would be a great time to learn how to reupholster furniture. Just a question, why the 70's?