Monday, December 22, 2008

MythBuster

There is a secret date candy recipe that has been in my family for a few generations. Great Grandma Nana Frederickson invented this treat years ago and it is made only at Christmas. As the legend goes, See's Candy tried to buy the recipe from Nana, but she refused. You must be or marry a descendant of Nana to be allowed to make the candy - even then, you are not allowed a written copy of the recipe until you prove yourself worthy after you've produced a few successful candy batches. The candy must be made in the presence of either my Granny (Nana's daughter-in-law) or someone who has been trained by Granny, such as my mother. The candy can only be cooked in one of two cast aluminum pots, using only fresh dates from a date palm tree (my Granny has a guy in the east Valley, AZ that saves his dates for her every July). The dates must be peeled and ground (twice) in a meat grinder and then placed in the freezer to await their candy destiny later in December. And, the recipe requires twelve cups of pecans (I didn't say that this candy was healthy) that are carefully sliced one by one, not chopped from a bag bought at the store. Well...........this year I was on my own in Utah. I didn't have Granny, my mother, a cast aluminum pot, a meat grinder or a "date guy". But, I must announce to all in my family who have fretted about this Mount Everest of candy-making, that I have dispelled the myth! This year, I bought dates and chopped pecans at the grocery store. I mashed the dates - no grinder. I cooked the candy in a stainless steel stockpot from IKEA. Did the date candy turn out? I answer......oh, I can't answer right now, my mouth is full of delicious, chewy, mouth-watering, perfect date candy! Nobody tell Granny!

3 comments:

thesvancaras said...

I'm glad it turned out for you, but you just un-specialed it! It is so special because of that it takes to make it. SO Shhhhhhhhh! This can just be our little secret... Oh and everyone else's who reads your blog.

Julia said...

thank you for writing this. my mother in law didn't want to hear any of this from me. so i sliced those stupid pecans one by one this year!!!

Allison and Nathan said...

More power to you, Julia, for slicing those pecans! By no means did I write this post to undermine the date candy tradition. There is nothing wrong with doing it way it's been done for years. I wrote the post for the younger generation, who may be intimidated, unsure or just plain too busy!