Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sharing a Milestone


Last October, I was introduced to a woman who inspires me, motivates me - makes me laugh, cry, cheer and want to be a better person. I've only known Stephanie Neilson through reading her blog. Her outlook on life and the eternal perspective that she seems to hold on to, even through one of the worst trials I think a woman and a mother could face, fills me with gratitude for what I have and hope for who I can become. Nathan and I have tried to show our support by attending a Mindy Gledhill benefit concert and donating to a silent auction held for Nie Nie. Last night, on the first anniversary of her near-fatal plane crash, we had the opportunity to show Stephanie how much we care for her by supporting her on her first hike up Y Mountain since the accident.




Stephanie stood at the trail gate to personally thank all who came to share this milestone with her. She gave each of us a hug and then we started up the trail.



Stephanie and Christian started the hike ten minutes later, hand in hand. Along the trail, Nathan and I recognized many faces from Stephanie's blog - her children, sisters, Jimmy the dog, and even Mindy Gledhill and her family. We paused to chat with Steve Craig (an old friend of mine) and his kids. The next thing we knew, Stephanie had caught up to us, said a quick "hello" to Steve, and then left us in the dust! What a woman! We were able to catch up to her once or twice, but as everyone knows, I stink at hiking, so Stephanie the super trooper ended up beating us to the top.



Everyone cheered when when Stephanie and Christian made it to the big white "Y". She didn't seem terribly worn out (I, on the other hand, was dying.) There were tears and smiles as the Neilson family hugged each other for a moment, paused for a few pictures and then let some balloons go in the sky.



Nathan and I watched the sun set and then headed back down the mountain.


Nathan's water bottle got in the way as I was taking the perfect sunset picture, but I think I looks pretty cool anyway.


So, once again, Nie Nie gave me cause to take a step back, look inside myself, and see what's really important. I'll keep my loved ones close and my Heavenly Father closer. I'll be grateful for the blessings that I have and pray for blessings to be poured out over Stephanie and her family.

4 comments:

Hailee said...

I would have gone there if I could. I guess you hiked for me too. That's why it was so hard for you!

Jessica said...

that is so great that you guys went! very cool.

Kary Ann Hoopes Photography said...

I AM A FRIEND OF SOMMERS. thanks for sharing your experience. I SO WANTED TO GO! YEAH FOR YOU..

Natalie said...

That is so great that you went to that. What a great event.